2017 was indeed a good year for the Entertainers across the Globe, Lots of news made headlines with “beefs” popping up every now and then. Above all money was made and the Nigerian Entertainment Industry took it’s glory with our artist winning international awards.
As good as this may sound, branding has always played a vital role in the growth of our entertainment industry, and come 2018, it would be wise if we boost our brands and make it stand out as entertainers.
Wondering what exactly a brand is? It’s an elusive concept but here’s a simple definition I like: A brand is the sum total of the images, ideas and experiences people have regarding a company, product, person, etc.
The brand you build today isn’t just about your logo or your slogan. It’s what we (you, me and everyone else who is aware of the company) collectively conjure up when we think about your brand. And what we think of you is based on our prior experiences with your services and with your advertising, public image, etc.
Here are five quick branding tips to try out:
1. Be Consistent – Do all the photos on your Profile look like they come from the same performer? Are they up to date? Are you using the same logo on event banners, your personal website and your merchandise? Hopefully the answer to all of these questions is a resounding ‘yes.’ You don’t want your potential clients thinking you have multiple personalities (unless that’s part of the act). Work on cultivating a single consistent image.
2. Be Nice – As an entertainer, particularly one who plays private events, you are in the Customer Service business. Make it a point to be friendly, polite and outgoing to everyone you come across at events. People talk, especially guests at a party. If you are rude to one guest, you better believe that the rest of the party is going to hear about it (not to mention the client who will be reviewing your post).
3. Be Accessible – Yes, social media and blogs are fun and great for promotion, but they’re also a great way to connect with fans. Just remember, your tweets and status updates live forever and you never know who will see them – so always refer to tips one and two before you send that tweet.
4. Be Different – There are a lot of brands out there. What’s special about yours? Don’t let this question fool you. If you believe in yourself and your talent, that’s enough to differentiate yourself from the crowd.
5. Be You! – Bottom line: you are your brand. You’re an entertainer, you do something unique and interesting. So be an interesting brand! you don’t have to worry about keeping millions of employees and thousands of stores consistent with the brand. You just have to worry about you…and maybe your crazy bandmates.