I have sat and watched thousands of music arts and cinematographers call a yet to be published video “Viral Video”, has it become so difficult to call it a low budget video? A video can not be called viral when it has not been published and viewed by followers, it is on this note I wish to enlighten you on what it means to have a viral video.
From the comfort of home, I made a video to prove my early publications of a mad man who was allegedly published on the internet as healed by members of Salvation Ministries in Ogbum-Nu-Abali district, that short mobile video went viral and became talk of town. I did not caption it as viral while publishing it, but the shares and views from followers made my video go viral.
A viral video is any clip of animation or film that is spread rapidly through online sharing. Viral videos can receive millions of views as they are shared on social media sites, riposted to blogs, sent in emails and so on. Most viral videos contain humour and fall into three broad categories:
- Unintentional Viral Videos: Videos that the creators never intended to go viral. These videos may have been posted by the creator or shared with friends, who then spread the content.
- Humorous Viral Videos: Videos that have been created specifically to entertain people. If a video is funny enough, it will spread.
- Promotional Viral videos: Videos that are designed to go viral with a marketing message to raise brand awareness. Promotional viral videos fall under viral marketing practices.
Now that most mobile devices include a video camera, the creation of online video is becoming easier as video sharing sites and viral videos become increasingly common.
Examples of unintentional viral videos include:
- Numa Numa Dance
- Star Wars Kid
- Epic Fail
- Don’t Tase Me, Bro!
- Movie Cut Aways
- Musical Videos
Examples of humorous viral videos include:
- Mark Angel Comedy Skits
- Dance Videos
- Musical Videos
Examples of promotional viral videos include:
- Terry Tate, Office Linebacker (Reebok)
- Young Darth Vader (Volkswagen)
- The Man Your Man Could Smell Like (Old Spice)
- Indomie Belle Full Social Media Videos
There is no set formula for creating a viral video, but many successful ones share a quick pace and near-instant payoff as far as the first laugh that hooks people into watching the entire video. This is to say that their is never a video Called Viral Video, it is either you are shooting a high or low budget video that might go viral.